- Jim is a multi-industry CEO/President with success in start-up, growth, merger and turnaround situations, in public and private companies.
- Most recently he was President and CEO, Aura Minerals, Inc., a publicly traded (TSX symbol ORA) Canadian copper and gold mining company, with $200 million revenue and 2,000 employees in Canada, Brazil and Mexico. Over five years he led restructuring to significantly reduce costs, both operating costs (25% reduction) and G&A costs (50% reduction), while maintaining or increasing production. This was critical in an environment of generally declining commodity prices and lack of financing. During this time the company paid off approximately $40 million of debt, and managed projects to replace production from two expiring mines with a new mine in Brazil.
- He previously served as President and Chief Operating Officer of Broadwing Corporation (NASDAQ symbol BWNG): an $880 million revenue, 1,700 person telecom rollup, turnaround and sale.
- He co-founded and served as Managing Partner, Atlantic Capital Group, a $40 million private equity firm located in Baltimore (www.atcapgroup.com).
- He held several positions over multiple years at Enron, culminating as CEO of Enron South America: a $1.5 billion revenue, 4,500 person roll up of energy assets into a company in both regulated electric and gas utilities and unregulated power and pipeline energy services, infrastructure development and financing.
- Jim holds a Master of Business Administration from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, where he graduated with Distinction. He has a Bachelor of Science, mechanical engineering concentration, from West Point where he graduated in the top 1% of his class. He is a licensed Professional Engineer, fluent in Spanish and Portuguese, and served 12 years in the US Army Corps of Engineers, including 3 years as Assistant Professor of Finance at West Point.
Back To Top
- Troy T. Taylor is the Founder and President of Algon Group. Mr. Taylor has 25 years of experience that combines investment banking, restructuring (both in Chapter 11 and out of court) and senior management. He has served as the Lead Financial Advisor, Chief Restructuring Officer or Chief Executive Officer in a broad range of industries including real estate/hospitality, energy, manufacturing, and distribution. He has also been an investor in more than 20 private companies and has served as a member of the Board of Directors of numerous public and private companies.
- Mr. Taylor, earlier in his career, was the senior energy banker for Morgan Keegan & Co. covering both Oil Service and E&P companies
- Mr. Taylor has a strong track record of creating value for clients through aggressive negotiating, sophisticated structuring, and creative conflict resolution. In addition, he has substantial experience in managing complex litigation, as well as providing expert witness testimony and litigation support. Mr. Taylor’s clients have included high profile Chairmen of publicly-traded companies as well as high net worth individuals and families.
- Mr. Taylor was formerly President of GMA Partners, Inc., an investment firm backed by a Forbes 400 family office. In that capacity, he assumed the position of Chairman of 1-800-Auto-Tow, Inc., a publicly-traded “roll up” that experienced substantial financial and operational challenges and ultimately filed for protection under Chapter 11 of the bankruptcy code. His experience also includes serving as Managing Director of KPMG Peat Marwick LLP, where he was responsible for the firm’s corporate finance activities in the Southeastern United States and a part of Latin America. Earlier in Mr. Taylor’s career he held investment banking positions with Oppenheimer & Co., Morgan Keegan & Co. and Thomson McKinnon Securities, Inc.
- Mr. Taylor is a nationally recognized expert in complex, challenging, and financially distressed matters. He has been a speaker at American Bankruptcy Institute events and numerous legal and banking-related associations.
- Mr. Taylor holds an M.B.A. and a B.S., cum laude, from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania and is a Certified Public Accountant.
- He is a Sustaining Member of the American Bankruptcy Institute.
- Jonathan W. Berger was for seven years the Chief Executive Officer and a Director of Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company LLC, where he had previously served as a Non Executive Director and Treasurer.
- His previous experience includes nearly eight years as Managing Director of Navigant Capital Advisors, Managing Partner of Tellurian Partners LLC, and President of DotPlanet.com.
- Earlier in his career, Mr. Berger was a Partner at KPMG and National Director of the Corporate Finance practice.
- Mr. Berger has served on numerous corporate Boards, including six years as a Non Executive Director of Boise Inc., where he was Chairman of the Audit and Compensation Committees.
- Mr. Berger has more than 25 years of senior level executive and investment banking experience, and has personally completed over 50 merger and acquisition transactions including both buy-side and sell-side transactions in technology, retail and the manufacturing sectors. In addition, he has completed over 20 capital-raising transactions of both debt and equity.
- Mr. Berger earned an MBA in Finance from Emory University-Goizueta Business School and a BS from Cornell University, and is a Certified Public Accountant.
- Luis Liberman served as Vice President of Costa Rica from 2010 until May 2014. Prior to his term in office he was a senior level banker for over 30 years.
- Mr. Liberman founded and was the CEO of Corporacion Interfin, a bank holding company whose principal business included commercial banking, a leasing company, and securities brokerage with activities throughout Central America and the Caribbean.
- After Interfin was acquired by the Bank of Nova Scotia in 2006 for $330 million, Mr. Liberman remained as CEO until 2009. Prior to founding Interfin he worked at the World Bank in Washington DC focused on project financing.
- Mr. Liberman has substantial experience providing high level financial advice in a variety of sectors that involved debt and equity financings, mergers and acquisitions, project finance and troubled or distressed loans. He has been a member of the Board of Directors of La Nacion (media), Plasticos para la Construcion (manufacturing), Instituto Costarricense de Electricidad (utilities), Compania Nacional de Fuerza y Luz (utilities), and Private Investment Corporation (finance).
- Mr. Liberman has served as Chairman of both the Costa Rican Bankers Association and the Costa Rican Securities Exchange. In addition he has been active as a member of the Chamber of Industries.
- Mr. Liberman holds a BS in Economics from UCLA and a MS and PhD in Economics from the University of Illinois and was a Professor of Economics at the University of Costa Rica for over 25 years.
- Mr. Van Doren has over 25 years of senior experience in the energy sector. His experience includes more than 20 years as a fixed income and equity research analyst, as well as a senior management role with an E & P company.
- Since 2011 Mr. Van Doren has been Founder and Managing Partner of Wildcatter Consultants, LLC. The firm provides investors with financial, reservoir and accounting guidance in the oil and gas sector.
- From 2006 through 2010, Mr. Van Doren served as Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of SandRidge Energy, Inc. He was instrumental in raising $5.0 billion of capital in the private and public markets, including its IPO. The proceeds financed nearly $4 billion in acquisitions, including NEG and Arena Resources.
- Prior to joining SandRidge, Mr. Van Doren was a high yield energy analyst at Goldman Sachs. He focused on the E & P, oil service, midstream, and refining sectors. Earlier in his career he held senior level debt and equity research positions with Bear Stearns and Prudential-Bache.
- Mr. Van Doren holds a B.A. from Colgate University and an MBA from Duke University.
Senior Managing Director
- Mr. Bernardy has over 30 years of banking and finance, management and entrepreneurial experience. His experience includes project and structured finance, private equity, debt securities, sponsorship of equity investments, financial risk management and distressed debt and bankruptcy.
- He has provided advisory and consulting services to upstream, midstream, and downstream energy companies since 2006 through M1 Energy Capital. Previously he spent over 20 years focusing on the origination and management of oil and gas investment programs while at Deutsche Bank, Bank of America and Continental Bank.
- His entrepreneurial experience includes co-founding management team member of USBuild.com Corporation, serving as Senior Vice President focused on all aspects of the company’s financial management.
- He has an MBA from Depaul University and a BS from Northern Illinois University.
- Mr. Ogle has been President and/or Chief Executive Officer of nine companies over the past 20 years ranging in revenue from $30 million to in excess of $3 billion, mostly on an interim basis.
- These assignments involved distressed situations that required substantial operational and/or financial restructuring both in and out of bankruptcy.
- Mr. Ogle has been personally recruited for these positions by some of the country’s most sophisticated and well known institutional investors including Merrill Lynch Capital Partners, Citicorp Venture Capital, and affiliates of Lazard.
- Mr. Ogle attended Gadsden Junior College and Marshall University. He is currently a Board member at Wheeling Pittsburgh Steel Corp. (NYSE: WPSC).
- With nearly 30 years at Bank of America and its predecessors, Mr. Lay has been instrumental in real estate transactions approaching $10 Billion. Representative examples of the transactions he lead include Related Group, WCI Communities, Crescent Resources, Sea Island, Kiawah Island, Reynolds Plantation. Faison Properties, Pannatonni Group, and John Wieland Homes.
- His most recent position at Bank of America was Senior Vice President Region Executive Real Estate Managed Accounts. He has been involved in some of the largest real estate syndications in the industry. His experience includes in depth knowledge of commercial real estate loans, condominium loans, home builder loans, and community development loans. Mr. Lay has done business across the US and in Canada and in the Caribbean. He has experience in multiple jurisdictions with litigation, bankruptcy, receivership’s, note sales, and restructures.
- Mr. Lay is a 1973 graduate of the University of Texas at Austin and a Life Member of the Texas Ex-Students Association. Also, he is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute.
- Mr. Darrow has over 40 years of real estate experience in senior positions in commercial/investment banking, principal investing and asset management. His experience includes extensive experience in both restructuring / repositioning assets and portfolios, and strategic planning.
- Prior to joining Algon he provided consulting advice to one of the major German banks who was adverse to the Related Group (and Algon) in its $2.1 billion restructuring. For nearly 10 years he was a Managing Director with Wellsford Real Properties, Inc. a $4 billion real estate merchant bank.
- Earlier in his career he held senior level positions with Chemical Bank, Prudential Securities, and Banque Indosuez and has completed transactions in excess of $8 billion.
- Mr. Darrow holds a B.A. from the University of Notre Dame.
- Ricardo Cano is a seasoned banker and management consultant with extensive experience supporting companies with capital structure optimization and raising debt.
- During two decades as a corporate and investment banker in Latin America, Mr. Cano prepared numerous companies to access the financial markets for the first time, and closed approximately 400 transactions within the capital markets for companies in many industries and throughout the credit spectrum. He also actively participated in a number of highly complicated acquisition finance, project finance and debt restructuring processes.
- Mr. Cano served as Managing Director at Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria (BBVA) in Mexico, with 15 years of experience leading various specialized product teams. Previously, he had worked at ABN AMRO in Miami structuring project finance transactions throughout Latin America and at a brokerage house in Mexico placing short-term corporate securities.
- Mr. Cano holds a B.S. in Business Administration from the Kogod School of Business at The American University in Washington, DC.
- Mr. Rubin was formerly a Director for Century Business Services (CBIZ) and was active in the Corporate Recovery and Outsourced Financial Services Practice areas. Prior to CBIZ, he was a partner and CFO of Zelenkofske Axelrod & Company, LTD.
- Early in his career, Mr. Rubin was associated with Touche Ross & Co. and Strouse Greenburg & Co., a Philadelphia based real estate developer. He has over 20 years of senior level finance and accounting experience including serving as a full-time CFO for manufacturing, service and distribution companies.
- Mr. Rubin holds an MBA from The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania (1984) and a BBA in Accounting (magna cum laude) from Temple University (1977) and is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) in Pennsylvania. Mr. Rubin is also member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and member of the Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors.
- Ms. Burns has led strategic planning, communication and marketing efforts for a range of companies during challenging periods of significant change. During her 20 year career she has consulted on corporate strategy, finance and competitive analysis cases for Fortune 100 companies. Her experience spans multiple industries and countries.
- Recently she has been engaged in a wide range of real estate industry assignments including evaluation of distressed investing opportunities, hospitality/resort acquisitions, and management of 1031 exchange investments.
- Ms. Burns holds an MBA in Finance and Marketing from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, and a B.A. (magna cum laude) in Economics from Villanova University. President, Wharton Alumni Club – Greater Tampa Bay; Member: Association for Corporate Growth; Turn Around Management Association; and American Bankruptcy Institute.
- Mr. Greenberg has over 40 years of experience in the media business, primarily in Publishing and Broadcasting. Most recently, Mr. Greenberg served as publisher and CEO of Tribune Companies Florida Media Group which included The Orlando Sentinel, The South Florida Sun Sentinel and South Florida’s WSFL-TV. His responsibilities included oversight of over thirty publications, websites, digital services and direct marketing/database companies
- Mr. Greenberg has substantial experience in transformative change, disruptive technology and crisis management dealing with the rapidly changing landscape of the media industry. In addition to his background with Tribune Company, Mr. Greenberg has also held senior leadership roles with The Miami Herald, The New York Daily News, Long Island Newsday and The Denver Post.
- In 2013, Mr. Greenberg’s investigative team at the South Florida Sun Sentinel won the Pulitzer Prize Gold medal for Public Service.
- Mr. Greenberg is a graduate of the University of Miami with a BBA in Business Administration.
+47 971 61040
- Mr. Amlé has over 30 years of senior level experience in the offshore and subsea construction market.
- He has held leading positions in Wilhelmsen Offshore AS, DSND Subsea ASA (subsequently Subsea 7) and in CTC Marine Ltd (subsequently DeepOcean).
- For 15 years he was a partner and active broker in R.S. Platou ASA, where he was led the subsea construction vessel department.
Early in his career Mr. Amlé was a diving superintendent in the Royal Swedish Army.
- Mr. Amlé is Civil Engineer and has participated in the Executive Management Program at Stockholm School of Economics.